Today is World Read Aloud Day!
World Read Aloud Day is about taking action to show the world that the right to read and write belongs to all people. World Read Aloud Day motivates children, teens, and adults worldwide to celebrate the power of words, especially those words that are shared from one person to another, and creates a community of readers advocating for every child’s right to a safe education and access to books and technology. By raising our voices together on this day we show the world’s children that we support their future: that they have the right to read, to write, and to share their words to change the world.
For more information, please visit LitWorld--an International Non-Profit Organization.
The 2011 Share a Story - Shape a Future literacy blog tour is taking place this week. This year's overall theme is Unwrapping the Gift of Literacy. Different aspects of this theme will be discussed each day at their website:
- Monday: The Power of a Book - From the literal power of owning a book and a good story to the intangible power that comes with knowing how to read.
- Tuesday: The Gift of Reading - Whether you're looking for a book to excite a reader, want to help someone learn to read or celebrate the "gift" ... it's covered.
- Wednesday: Unwrapping Literacy 2.0 - With all of the talk of digital literacy, e-readers, etc. What does "literacy" look like in this new century?
- Thursday: Love of Reading v. Homework - Do they have to be at odds? We'll talk about ways to help readers at home and at school.
- Friday: The Gift that Keeps on Giving - To wrap up the week we'll be remembering "that moment" when we realized we were a reader or writer and how to celebrate it with others. Lots(!) of interviews this day.
Hope you can guys can read aloud to a child today and everyday and be sure to visit the Share a Story--Shape a Future website! There are so many great discussions and resources available!